Your new company
Symcel is a medtech company developing rapid microbiology solutions for R&D and infectious disease diagnostics. The company is in early commercial phase on R&D and clinical markets, offering direct metabolic measurements at unprecedented sensitivity. In development of IVD solution for diagnosis of severe infections, cutting time to directed therapy by 90%.
Symcel, with headquarters at Karolinska Institute campus in Solna and a sales office in Boston US, was founded by leading authorities in microcalorimetry and the current team at Symcel has extensive experience within the biotechnology industry and diagnostics. Current team of 25 full-time employees, backed by reputed investors and a professional board.
Read more about Symcel and its technology at www.symcel.com
Your new role
As Business Development Director, you will work towards and prepare for a market introduction (in about five years) of the IVD product/platform currently in development. This will be done in close collaboration with the CEO, Director of Clinical Development and other functions in the company. The work will involve both customer and partner contact, associated with some travelling – mainly to the US.
With a planned market introduction in the US, the work will involve understanding and driving the work towards reimbursement for use (in-patient setting) in parallel with the work towards FDA clearance. Continually developing commercial strategy and opportunity discussions will be essential. Understanding the mechanisms and process for market and clinical uptake of novel tools and diagnostics is essential in the role, as well as a good understanding of the customer.
The ultimate commercial IVD offerings will be enabled by innovation and revenues from shorter term applications. You will spend considerable time and commitment on microbial markets targeted today, bringing synergies across clinical, R&D and IVD offerings. In this you will work with synergy sales and development with today's research instruments, addressing the needs for rapid quality testing among existing customer segments. This will include identifying customers and potential partners and developing a business strategy together with other commercial leadership functions.
The role is based at the headquarters in Solna, with some expected travelling. The company has a hybrid policy, enabling work outside the office 1-2 days/week. The role reports to the CEO.
What you'll need to succeed
- Experience from product development or customer/market focused role for IVD product(s), alternatively for Life Science tools/instrumentation
- Experience from working closely with clinical or academic customers in an early phase of commercialization
- Academic (MSc/PhD) degree within life science with good technical and biological understanding
- Fluency in English
You will benefit from the following:
- Ability and confidence to interact on a high knowledge level with various stakeholders
- Being able to go turn strategy into action
- Understanding of business models within IVD and analytical research instruments, as well as commercialization strategies
- Understanding of academic and clinical research, as well as standard routine work in a hospital lab setting
- Understanding of the complexity in diagnostic/medtech product development in terms of system development, QA/RA, clinical evaluation and customer collaborations.
What you'll get in return
as well as experience of:
- Microbiology and infection diagnostics
- Partnering discussions, agreements and collaborations
- Business development/sales/marketing of research instruments
- The American (life science) market
To be successful in the role, you are likely:
- Good at building relations
- Good at communicating
What you need to do now
- The chance to realize something unique; being part of an exciting journey.
- Big opportunity for personal development. The chance to have a high degree of impact in the organization as well as gaining new experiences is very good. There is also a good opportunity to influence to development of the role, beyond market introduction.
- You can have a high impact and decision paths are short.
- Solid owners, with knowledgeable representatives in the Board of Directors, that even offers their operational support and engagement.
- Depending on seniority, the role may become part of the executive management team
In this recruitment, Symcel is partnering with Hays. If you're interested in this role, click 'apply now' to forward an up-to-date copy of your CV, or call us now. For specific questions on the role, please contact Linus Norrbom, firstname.lastname@example.org. If this job isn't quite right for you but you are looking for a new position, please contact us for a confidential discussion on your career. #900160